From: AERCMembersForum-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:AERCMembersForum-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Nancy Mitts
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2003 5:09 PM
To: tobytrot@xxxxxxxxx; tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; AERCMembersForum@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [AERC-Members] Protecting....

First, there's something I keep reading that really bothers me. What's up with this "just a little shot of Banamine" business? I read this every time a thread about treating horses comes up. "No one was treated---just a shot of banamine" "Not serious treatment, maybe just a shot of banamine." As someone else pointed out a few days ago, giving bute or banamine to a horse that might be dehydrated is a bad idea. I think they pointed out that a horse might need to receive fluids in order to make it safe to give some other drug. I consider a horse in need of Banamine to be a "treated" horse, and just as as serious (personally, even more so) as one that could use a bag of fluids!
I don't look down on people who do what they need to do for their horse after a ride, but if AERC is going to hand out serious penalties we all gotta be on the same page.
So, in addition to Truman's analogy in regards to "Angie's ru le", you have to consider that variation in attitude/perception in what may be considered "serious treatment".
Also, think about the ramifications in dumping the decision about whether a rider should lose a whole season of points on the head of one vet. Even if the vet committee reviews it, it's mainly the judgement of the vet on the scene. And, I say one vet, because at small ride the other vet may be gone already. Some will be more reluctant to treat, others just to say no treatment was that serious, others will stick to the letter of the law and say the points must go. Some may even say it's not worth the hassle--they have better ways to spend the weekend!

Nancy Mitts