[RC] Request for data 60 vs. 64 - Truman Prevatt

We did a small experiment a few years back at a FL ride. I was talking with the head vet about the virtues of a 60 vs. 64 pulse (he had set the pulse to 64). He said 99% of the horses if they come into the pulse box when they read 60 will be at most 60 by the time they get the pulse taken.

So we recorded the pulse when it was taken and most were below 60 with only a few cases of horses being 64 (and that may have been they knew their horse very well and how fast they dropped and came in above 64). So on that day I had to admit the vet was right. But more work needs to be done here.

I would like to collect as much data on this pulse business as I can so I have a request for ride managers to record the actual pulse (have the pulse taker call it out to the timer when they call for time and the timer record it ). Supply this along with the pulse criteria and some other data like ambient conditions that day, metabolic pulls and any treatments, etc. You don't need every horse that gets a pulse as long as the ones you miss are at "random."

Granted not of these are well controlled experiments but they can give us some feeling if there is much a difference in reality between 60 and 64 or if 60 being better is more of a feel good thing than a reality.

Yes I am sure there are stories out there where people have concluded that it makes a big difference, but I'm not interested thses, I'm interested in the raw numbers.

Any takers, contact me privately and we'll set it up.

Truman