[RC] Shame on me...(final - long) - FASTGraphic

    How much higher can we climb?  A lot.  I just kept going up and up and
up on these incredibly beautiful trails.  Stunning.  Mind-blowing.  At every
turn, I though we had reached the peak.  At every turn, there was more mountain
to scale.  The wonderful drag riders caught up with me again - and some of the
30 milers - and we finally, FINALLY made it to the top.  I would walk some,
then ride some, then walk some. If I was this tired, how must poor Solitaire
feel?  I knew the answer anytime I got on.  She was becoming weaker.  Her
propulsion was not right.  I couldn't wait to get to base camp.  I was
beginning to
worry that Supergirl had met the Kryptonite Mountain...........
    Once in base camp, my crew and I went to work again - not to pass a vet
check for it had already been announced that even if she passed we were
pulling.  We just wanted her to come down.  And then her hind quarters started
quivering.  Just a little at first, then more.  Now I was scared.  Her heart
did
not come down within the half-hour.  Not terribly elevated, but not down.  We
were pulled and headed straight for the treatment Vet.
    Thanks to the intervention of an adamant and forceful friend, Tammy
Robinson of Trail-Rite, the Vet started her on IV fluids.  She was not
colicking.
She was not dehydrated.  She was not tying up.  But she WAS in a serious
electrolyte imbalance and in danger.  It was a miracle to watch the quivering
subside almost immediately once the fluid drip started.  Eleanor Gray, my
friend
and an RN extraordinaire, was there to assist the Vet - and even to take over
for him when he had to leave for a while.  My family and my friends were there
for me and, more importantly, for Solitaire.  Jody, Richard, Renee, Ginger and
my girls are indefatigable.  They are the best.  I cannot thank all of them
enough.
    The afternoon went on in a sort of dream.   Walking her out.  Letting
her rest.  Constantly watching for her to pee and poop and eat and drink.  The
eating and drinking began as the drugs wore off and then........thank
GOD!........a good, relatively clear, healthy pee!   And a big healthy poop!
And she
was back!  I swear, she would nicker slowly and dreamily through the drugs as
other people passed on their mounts - she didn't like stopping!  This
incredible horse would go till she dropped.  She trusted me to stop her and I
let her
down.
    My crew went home once we knew she was going to be fine.  My family went
home to feed and take care of the other animals.  I threw up a couple of
times and pulled my truck around to face her corral so I could watch her
through
the night.  How I do love this animal.  How horribly ashamed I was of myself.
I drifted off into a fitful sleep in the front seat.  I would awake throughout
the night and go check on her.  Only later would I realize that others had
done the same during the times I was sleeping.  What a wonderful "family" we
have in this sport.  Thank you, Lindy - and the others who came and who cared
so
much.
    We are home now - in fact I see her out there in her stall looking for
all the world like Supergirl again.  I don't have the heart to tell her yet,
but her true endurance days are over.  Perhaps the occasional LD, but longer
distances are not what she is suited for.  I have obtained an Arab - a handsome
gelding which we have dubbed "Draco," and he will be my endurance horse.  But
alas, he is only 4 years old and there will be years of LSD and training before
his first ride.  I am looking forward to getting to know him.
   Lessons learned?
    1.  My gut sounds are more important to listen to than my mount's.
    2.  Someone else said it, but I now believe it - NEVER believe your
horse when she is telling you she is Supergirl and ALWAYS believe her when she
is
telling you something is wrong.
    3.  A plan is a wonderful thing.  Assessing situations and ALTERING a
plan is even better.  Had I e-lyted her at the VC, we most likely would have
RO'd at lunch rather than having been pulled and she never would have seen a
needle.
    4.  Ride and Ah-rab.  LOL
    5.  Keep your rhino-hide on at all times.  As the IV was being
administered, I heard the pronouncement, "I TOLD him she couldn't do this ride!
I TOLD
him not to do it."  It was a blatant lie.  I was told it was a very difficult
ride.  I was NEVER told not to do it.  And before that, as we were sponging
her and keeping an eye on her quivering hindquarters, I overheard a trusted
friend say to a fellow rider, in a very condemning voice, "That horse isn't in
condition to do this ride."  A friend who never said such a thing to me when it
might have counted - BEFORE the ride!  Funny how people want to distance
themselves from you when you get in trouble.
    I want to thank all of those who helped Solitaire and I through the
ordeal and to let you all know how quickly and fabulously she has bounced back.

And I sincerely hope that my ramblings might help another newbie avoid the
trauma of severe treatment.
    Train hard, ride smart, and finish healthy!  And to quote California's
next Governor, "I'll be back."
:o)
Scott