Re: [RC] Horses Treated at Pan Ams... - DVeritas

In a message dated 9/28/2003 8:15:10 AM Mountain Standard Time, ridecamp-moderator@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
There were 17 horses treated at the PanAms for Metabolic issues.
    If  there were some way to identify the distance  trailered to the Pan Ams, and the date of arrival at the ridesite of these 17 horses, perhaps, coupled with the indepth ride information provided by John T, some type of correlation might be drawn as to why the need for treatment arose.
    I truly believe due to the extreme geographical location, i.e., way up in the northwestern corner of the country, vice a central location (equidistant for the majority of horses)), that some late arriving horses were behind the metabolic "powercurve" at the start of the ride, and thereby, the ride itself (not necessarily the intensity of the effort) might have been enough to require treatment.
    I also believe that every horse treated, might, in fact, been receiving treatment as a preemptive or adjunct to recovery...not necessarily as a means to "save their life".
    That said, I also realize the truly smart and focused riders were able to trailer, regardless of the distance, evaluate their horses' particular metabolic pre-ride condition and "get them ready" properly for the effort after their arrival at the ridesite.
    Just would be interesting to know the distance trailered by those 17 horses and date of arrival; names (for me) aren't really of interest.
----Frank