RE: [RC] Protecting Our Horses, Protecting Our Sport - Jerry & Susan Milam

This topic is being cross posted to AERC Forum and RC which I thought was a
no-no, but anyway........I really like what Stagg is saying here and what
Maryben said in AERC Members forum:

lowering the finish pulse has worked very well at the past two MW rides I've
attended, but even 60 allows for a lot of fast times in the top 10 horses.

Our horse deaths seem primarily associated with metabolic problems the horse
has during the ride that may be contributed to with pre-ride routines. This
where our major concerns and research need to be directed. Susan G has done
so much to help horses already, maybe AERC can vote to fund her research
that would give us answers to these questions and more?

Questions I have of my our routine:

1-How do I know I should electrolyte my horse before the ride? or after each
loop? or every hour on the trail? or even the night before the ride?

2-If I do electrolyte how much and mixed with what do I dose?

I am going to try a no electrolyte dose pre-ride this race. I never dose
during training ride but always add elytes to the feed mash afterwards. I'll
offer the same at the hold as I do on training rides and see if he drinks
better this time. I know the elyes pre ride upset his tummy even with maalox
added.

Right now all I can do is trial and error in trying to keep him safe. We
need more solid research.

Susan