Re: [RC] Building a base - Competition schedule - Stagg_Newman

Maureen,

You asked about competition schedule for a young horse.

My competition schedule for young horses is somewhat based on what is
convenient
since I am concentrating on training and conditioning.  Here is what I
would ideally do.

As a late 4 or early 5 year old I may do a 25 if convenient.  The main
purpose of
this if for training, i.e. getting the horse used to lots of commotion,
other horses,
vet checks, etc.  This will be a slow back of the pack type of ride.

Then in August or September ideally I would do a slow 50.  I really like to
do the Western North Carolina 3-day 100 Competitive Trail Ride with
our 5 year old.  Great for both physical and mentally conditioning and
training.

As a 6 year old, ideally I would do a couple of slow 50s.  If the horse is
doing
well and looking really solid, I may do a slow 100 late in that year.

For example Jayel Super did 3 'back of the pack' 50s as well  the WNC 100
as a 5 and 6 year old.  He also did a bit of CTR.  Then he did the Carolina
Classic
as his first 100 in Nov as a 6 year old.   At that ride he and Drubin were
the last
two horses to leave the 50 mile check point.  However they finished around
13th
out of about 40 starters as I remember because we just kept going the same
pace.
(That's one of the beauties of 100s - steady pays off!).

As a 7 year old he did another relatively slow 50 for training.  Then he
finished around
12th in the Biltmore 100.  The head vet told me he thought the horse was
ready to do more.
His next ride was his first win at the Old Dominion.

On the other hand the current horse we are starting, Cam, is not the
natural athlete that Super
is so we are bringing him along more slowly.  He turns 7 this year, has
done a few slow 50s
and the WNC 3-day 100 twice.  We currently plan to take him in a slow 100
this May at Biltmore.

Key for young horse is to think of the competitions as just part of your
training and conditioning
program.  And a great place to get vets to assess how your horse is coming
along.

information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to
receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose or take any action based on this message or any
information herein.  If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.