Re: [RC] [RC] Timex GPS - Laurie Durgin

I remember the discussion a while ago about distance inacuracies if you have a lot of hills, (mountains, canyons for example)Someone said it marked the Grand Canyon alot shorter than it was? Had to do with Linear distance.satilittes.Orginally created for ships?
Makes me wonder afte doing the Talladeaga, Al. ride. They GPS ed it for the distance, but there were people there saying it didn't feel right. It felt longer to me too. And that is a hilly, winding ride. Makes you think. ..

From: Klc5355@xxxxxxx
To: tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC]   Timex GPS
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 23:14:50 EST

I have had mine for a couple of months, I really like it. It is easy
to use and is pretty comfortable on your arm. I have tested it in my truck
and it is very accurate for speed and distance, under those conditions. It
appears to make corrections about every 15 seconds, it takes that long to
register speed changes. On the trail it is close. I have checked trails that
I have marked in my truck and know the distances. If there are a lot of
switchbacks or you are in deep canyons ect. I find it to be about 10% short
on distance and probably the same on speed. I wouldnt mark trail with it, but
it is great for getting a better feel for how fast your horse actually
travels at different paces, and for knowing your conditioning distances. I
used it at Death Valley and it was great to have, I had a better feel of when
I was due to come up on the water stops and vet checks, Jackies distances are
pretty close to what she says they are. It will give you your average speed
so it can be handy to pace your ride with. You will go through a set of
batteries every day, 3 AAA. But for a 140.00 it is a pretty nice unit.
Ken Cook, AERC West