[RC] mentoring 100's - Kathie Ford

Hi Ridecamp! Wow, the thread on mentoring 100's is wonderful.  Is there anyone in the West Region where I am interested in mentoring me?  My longer term goal is to do a 100.  I'm thinking next year though, want to put some more miles on my horse.

Also had a question regarding the conditioning for a 100 miler. Do you really have to do a lot of other rides, ie. 50', multi-days etc. Or, if you if you have access to miles and miles or terrain and trails where you are can you just do that type of riding prior to 100's?  In other words, just the miles regardless of how you acquire them; or is it really necessary to do lots and lots of "rides" to get those conditioning miles?

I ask this because I'm sometimes financially not able to go to a lot of rides, yet have access to many many miles and trails for riding.  And I'm lucky to have the time to do the riding.  I very much want to get into the longer distances in time.  So  I'm very curious about the answers to these questions.

Also, I have a friend who does long camping trips and cattle round ups, and sometimes does 75 miles in a weekend.  Would something like this qualify as training for 100's.  It makes sense to me but I'd really like to hear from your experiences riders doing these distances. She's done 50's in the past and believes it does.  And also gives a helps develop the horses "base".

Please continue with the information and experiences you all share.  It is so helpful and
I try to store all of it up in my brain!

THANKS to you all!

kathie