Re: [RC] [RC] Horse bonding and bad manners - Bonnie Davis

For pawing.....

1) Try hobbling front feet only.  A horse will soon figure out they can't
paw because of the hobbles.  Once they stop.  Just put a couple straps
around ankles.  Some horses think they have hobbles on and don't paw even
though they are not hobbled.  For those that figure out they just have
straps on and return to pawing.....

2)  Try 'kick chains'.  A strap around the ankle with about 12 inches of
light chain attached.  When the horse paws (or kicks) the chain snaps the
horse's leg.  He does it to himself.  Soon understands that pawing (or
kicking) can hurt.

Not everyone will like that idea -- I know.

But have a friend who's horse could kick out barn wall faster than they
could be repaired or paw a hole big enough for the trailer to fall into --
so we put kick chains on the mare.  After about three hours of kicking and
scaring herself with that constand snap on the leg -- she realized that
kicking hurt.  No one yelling at her.  She just stopped.  On the front legs,
she quiet pawing too but then got to sniffing the chain and if it was there,
wouldn't paw.  Take 'em off and she'd paw.  Whenever tried to the trailer,
she wears kick chains.  You want to talk about conversation starters.....

Also, some horses will paw when tied to one side of the trailer and won't
paw when tied to the other side of the trailer.

Bonnie Davis