Re: [RC] Decline of entries in 100 milers - Typef

I am an reborn endurance rider from the 70's and this year completed 2 LD's.
It's all I had the time to condition for. I think the posts about the
fast-paced lives we all lead is probably a key for me. I am a self-employed
graphic artist and although I work out of my home, the time seems to escape
me to get out there and condition that horse as much as I need to, to move
on to "endurance" riding. A typical day for me is 12 hours. And sometimes
14-16. Of course, it's winter now, but it's obvious to me that I know
nothing of winter riding, after reading some of the posts from you diehards
back east in the cold temperatures. I'm a spoiled Californian who looks
outside, doesn't see any sun and the temperature is 40 and says, "RideCamp
looks better from here." Go ahead, call me a wuss. Lessee, what was my
point? Oh yeah ... time. We all need time to condition. I don't seem to be
able to make enough of it. I would eventually like to do a 100. To carry on
in the footsteps of my great old horse who passed away last year who loved
them. To say "Yes! I can do it!" And probably keep on doing it. But at the
rate I'm going, it will be a long time before I get there on my current
mount.

However, I rode my new mare yesterday at the trainer's (she's 11, never been
ridden before, what a challenge) and the darn horse walks so fast, I felt
like I had to post. Fence posts were flying by me at the speed of sound. The
difference in this horse's forward motion and the one I'm riding now are
like riding two different kinds of animals. Of course, they are different
animals, a Mustang vs. an Arabian. I might make it faster than I thought on
this new one. Heck, I COULD probably walk a 25-miler on this mare and have
plenty of time to spare. I now know what people were talking about a week or
so ago. My current mount would never be able to walk a 25-miler under time.
Not a chance.

I would be interested in knowing how many of my fellow RideCampers are
self-employed and how many hold down regular day jobs. And if you do hold
down day jobs, how do you get away from work to travel to a ride? I had a
heck of a time this last year picking rides I could actually attend because
of my monthly deadlines. I had to pick the few that didn't coincide with me
needing to be ball-and-chained to my computer chair at deadline time.

And for me, it might be that I just am not tough enough to get out there at
5:00 a.m. or in the dark (definitely not) to get as far as I need to go to
make certain my horse is conditioned enough for a 100. When my dad
enduranced in the 70's, he had me to condition his horse every day after
school. Oh, that I had a kid to do that for me now LOL!!!

Anyway, for me, it's making the time to condition my horse.

:) Jackie
(and MC, the "Do I have to go up that hill?"  Mustang and Crystal the
turbo-walking Arab)