[RC] cavalry style - superpat

> By your email, I can see that you likely won't be entering the FEI part of
> the ride nor likely be doing any international competition soon. Is that
> fair to say, or am I being presumptuous?

Not presumptuous, correct

> HOWEVER, cavalry riding on the FEI and international level would neatly
> address some of the issues that have cropped up (crew vehicles running
> beside the horses and "jockeys") and level the playing field.

I totally agree. But isn't there another approach to allowing crewing, such as narrowly defined, allowable assistance?

. I'd bet on the cavalry smarts of the U.S. candidates for the WEC against
> whomever the rest of the world has. It would also make endurance riding as
> an Olympic sport a lot more appealing to some of us.

No argument there...

> Because, as you say:
> > ... if I ever had the horse who could "go for it", I have no doubt that I
> > would be recruiting the best crew I could find.

And if that crew had narrowly defined parameters within which the horse could be made safer and better cared for, what could be the harm? And how would that detract from the effort?

> Why? Because the best crew will help your horse win.

Absolutely! And the crew is a legitimate part of the "team". Look at (god forgive) a boxing match. The fighter uses a manager and trainer and water boy (or whatever they are called) to keep him standing as long as possible and hopefully that fighter's team along with his ability will enable him to prevail.

 If the glory all went
> to the horse, I'd have no problem with that. But at the FEI and
> international level, it seems the glory goes to the rider.

it seems to me that the rider should be allowed to
> demonstrate supreme horse knowledge and horse management ability at that
> level.

And wouldn't a good crew, working within well defined limits assist the rider to do just that?

I'd cheer loudly for anyone from any country who did a 100 cavalry
> style. Wow! And to win an all-cavalry style event? Wouldn't that just be the
> ultimate?

No argument there.....

(And good luck with your ride schedule this year).

Pat