Re: [RC] 10+ years, PAC and overriding - Truman Prevatt

I don't know if what appears to be an increase in horse fatalities has to do with they become public very quickly because of the internet, or they are in fact becoming a bigger problem. However, that non withstanding even if it they are getting more attention they are a real problem and not just at high profile rides. The death at the Pan Am is only one of the several that have happened this year and from my understanding the level of equine deaths this year is the same as last year and we have two months left!

Even if there wasn't a death at the Pan Am, the equine fatality rate has not gone down. And the fatalities other than the Pan Am were not at high profile races. Racing has always been part of the AERC culture and there is absolutely wrong with racing. However, with racing there is added responsibilities that comes with the extra risk placed on the horse and I see nothing whatsoever wrong in expecting these riders to accept fully these responsibilities (and most do). I also see nothing wrong in the AERC demanding that these riders accept this responsibility and to intervene with sanctions when they don't.

Yes it's only a few and we need to make sure the few don't ruin it for the majority by their actions.

Truman

Joe Long wrote:

We're seeing here a phenonemon where a discussion of the very real
problem of horse deaths at high-profile rides produces the false
impression that horses at high-profile rides are commonly ridden to
death's door by "big guns" who care only about winning.  While there
are some riders at all levels of our sport who put winning a race
above the welfare of their horse, they are (fortunately) few.  They
are the reason that the vets have the authority to pull a horse if the
rider does not, but please lets not disparage high-profile events, or
racing at these events, due to the actions of a few.