[RC] Longevity and 'comebacks' - rides2far

  So What about 'comback ' horses. Ones who had a good career and had
either
a severe injury or illness that usualy ends a horses career and
camback to  ride again?

There's Cass. He was in such a serious auto accident that both owners
were air lifted out and a policeman wanted to shoot him but was worried
about liability (that's how I heard it may have been changed some in the
telling). Word was they had to teach him to walk again. He went on to win
medals.

Desert Ballad. He was a successful endurance horse, then got a horrid
infection from an injection in his hip(whatever causes blackleg in
cattle). He literally had all the meat rot off his hip. Had so many IV's
that one jugular (they have 2) scarred over. He went on to win many
championships and was on the silver medal team in 1995. He was easy to
spot with a huge scar over his hip.

Baskhari had never been treated and very few pulls (I believe 18 100
milers and 4000 miles) when he was leased for the World Championships by
a Brazillian. Though Lynda was very happy with the rider and said he did
everything exactly as she asked him to Baskhari had a metabollic crash
after completing. (you just can't tell someone all the subtle things you
do to get  your horse to drink on the trail or whatever). When they were
treating him he got a staff infection that almost killed him and ended up
having to have about a foot of one of his jugulars removed. He came back
and she rode his first 100 back to guide me through my first. He's
competed another 6 years of so.

Looking at the 10 year horses' records I noticed that none of them had
started out in LD, except Baskhari who was 4 at the time and had no
choice. Their fastest years tend to be their third or fourth season. The
ones who did the most 100's started them early in their careers. They
weren't "slow" but didn't run up front for the first couple of years.

I've known several horses who *could* have continued if they hadn't been
so determined to go hard. The riders really wanted to just start
completing on them but the horses were *determined* to race. These horses
love what they do and they have a lot of pride sometimes. I kind of had
to get Kaboot confused last week to go a calm pace.  We were half way
through the ride before he could tell whether we were actually in one or
not. >eg<

Angie

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!