[RC] owning horses - Larry Miller

As my hubby loves to tell me whenever I come back from a ride with the story 'well she dumped me again' or a new scratch, 'if one is in horses long enough Sh-- will happen.'  Our vet tells us the same thing.  We lost Larry's Lucky to a horrible liver disease.  She was dead in 48 hrs.  We were nervous wrecks for a couple of weeks until one day our vet observed us and gave us a lecture.  If it is going to happen, it will.  So life goes on.  I have done this sport for over 30 years.  I haven't quit yet.  Booking down trail, having a well conditioned horse or at least one that can manage the miles that I ask of it, yelling wha-hoo, keep me sane.  A horse can get ill and not recover by just standing in the barn.  The same thing could happen to me.  I plan on riding until I can't, I plan on enjoying life with my horse as long as I can and then some.  Jeanie