Re: [RC] More Regional Differences? - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

FWIW, during the last few years of my watching whatever endurance we've had here, we've had more than our share of crashes (usually due to rider error, since as Kristine Smuts from South Africa noted, there isn't any good endurance information available out here aside from Ridecamp and I don't know anyone else who subscribes here other than myself.). One of the other things that I've become much more aware of just recently in helping a rider understand the concept of heat index is the fact that the weather in this region is changing and becoming more humid. Over the last 10 years, humidity in Cairo has become an issue for horse owners. Doing some research on the humidity/heat index last summer gave us the surprise that our humidity has been such that working horses hard at over 36 Celsius can be dangerous....this used not to be the case. We had quite a lot of time that was over 40% humidity during this last summer. I spent yesterday in the desert in Sinai just outside of Sharm el Sheikh and we were stunned to find many green plants still there in late September. Usually these plants are seen in May and June just after the rain, but obviously the humidity has increased here such that they find it possible to survive the Sinai summer. Humidity increases in this area have been noticed and attributed to the increase in green areas around the hotels and homes (created by recycling cleaned up waste water to gardens). Weather trends are worth keeping track of.

Maryanne
Cairo