[RC] A Very Strange Problem... - Suvut

OK, maybe some of you guys out there have seen this before.  I need some problem-solving here.

Whenever I want to ride my 5 yo Arab, I have to lead him back and forth across a busy street in front of my house to and from his leased pasture.  Last year, he was starting to pull on me.  (We frequently have to wait for a break in traffic.)  To nip this in the bud and prevent him from getting away from me in a dangerous situation, I started draping the chain across his nose for more control.  Just a few short jerks to get his attention -- nothing major.  It helped and I discontinued the practice very quickly.

Today, I decided to begin the transition from his bit to a hackamore.  He doesn't know how to eat on trail with the bit in his mouth.  Just carries a mouthful of grass for the entire trail ride...

Well, don't ya know, the minute I attached the hackamore to his bridle (he was still tied to the trailer), he commenced with the snorting/grunting/blowing thing again!   WASSUP with this? I hadn't even put ANY pressure on the hack at all  !!!

Will I ever be able to ride this colt with a hackamore?  Any suggestions?

Susan Vuturo (AERC #1108)