[RC] knee pain and riding downhills - Sundaez

Hi all....

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever going to be able to do a 50.

Last Satuday I did a 27 mile training ride in some pretty hilly conditions. My horse did great...but my knees just about did me in. I find I can ride on the flat or up hills forever, but after just a few miles of downhill my knees are screaming in pain. When I dismount, I have to hang onto the horse for a few minutes. Saturday the knees were so bad I couldn't walk for a few minutes.

Last week I made the mistake of trying to remount on a training ride before my knees recovered and almost had a wreck when my horse started walking off while I was half way up. My knees just couldn't get me in the saddle!

Knees are fine once I walk off the pain. They never hurt at all normally...but sometimes click. I thought I just needed more saddle time but it doesn't seem to be helping. I use ez ride stirrups and have tried adjusting stirrup length. I'm riding in a Crates.

My horse is rough downhill as she is still learning to use her hind...she wants to pace downhill. I end up with huge bruises on the inside of my thighs after hilly rides.

Anyway...would wearing some sort of knee brace help me? I'm taking 800 mgs Motrin before riding and it helps but still have pain. I'm training in hilly terrain. I could get off and on hills but it is so hilly here I would spend more time on the ground than on the horse!

Any advice is welcome. I'm getting discouraged...I love to ride for hours but my body is just protesting so much!

Mel