[RC] Horses eating salt - Heidi Smith

Y'know, after I read Angie's post about eating salt as a kid and about horses eating chunks off the salt blocks, I was out doing chores and puttered past the salt out in the gelding pasture.  Now, I've seen horses eat salt the way she described, but it's usually been salt deprived horses that are seeing it for the first time in a long time.  I got to thinking when we had put out the salt to the 8 geldings, and it was around the end of May or the first of June.  We put out 50 lbs for those 8 head.  Four of them are being ridden--three to the level of being in competition.  (We are not burning up the turf, as all are "early days" yet in their endurance career, so we are doing lots of LSD at home, one has 110 AERC miles this year, one has 305 plus an LD, and one has 100 which were also somewhat fast, logging a 6th and a 2nd.)  We do not add e-lytes to the feed, so this 50 lbs that has been out there for four months is what they've had.  Y'know, less than a third of it is gone.  And we had 100+ degree weather here for quite a chunk of the summer this year.  Do the math--that is about a quarter of an ounce per horse per day that they've consumed.  The ones going to rides have not gotten lytes at the rides--but they do not come home feeling deprived.

What they DO have is common familial background (which I think both makes them more metabolically efficient with the lytes in their food as well as they are all built to have deep heart girths, good rib spring, and lots of room for a BIG hindgut so they carry a good fiber, water, and e-lyte reserve) and free choice mountain pasture hay in big bales, 24/7.  The ones being ridden all EDPP just fine, although it took a couple of them a ride or two to "catch on" that they'd better not pass up a water stop or they'll get thirsty out there.  I have to laugh to myself as I ride with other folks, and my horse will be right there with his nose buried in the stream or the water tank, guzzling his fill alongside theirs, and they say, WOW, look at those electrolytes kick in!  Huh?  They think horses without them won't drink?  Whaddatheythink MINE are doing??

So Angie, if your horses need to have them because of environment, genetics, whatever, then you need to give them.  But mine are telling me loud and clear that they don't need them, so I don't think that the advice at large to EVERYBODY should be this constant clamor for more and more lytes!  Do what works for YOUR horse, but don't assume that is right for ALL horses.  Each horse is his own delicate balance, and as a veterinarian myself, I am concerned and puzzled at the fact that ride vets seem to be pushing lytes enmass to everybody, everywhere, regardless of the individual and how well they may be doing without.  Your first clue is what your horse does--with regard to his attitude toward his salt at home, his appetite, his energy levels, how well he drinks and pees, etc.  FWIW, my guy peed at EVERY stop last weekend--he does a lot better than I do!

Heidi