Re: [RC] [Guest] Electrolytes - Heidi Smith

When you have fog you have 100% humidity. In those conditions even in
cool weather evaporative cooling does not work since nothing can
evaporate (the air is already saturated - that what fog is).  I remember
a talk one time on research done on electrolytes (blood analysis) where
the researcher pointed out one of the rides with the largest loss of
electrolytes by the first check came at ride where the temp was in the
50's and fog.

The horses don't cool. These conditions are very deceptive and the
riders that were sponging and electrolyting were aware of the conditions.

I guess we have to define "mild."  While Truman is correct here, there is
also a fine line between the point where horses can't cool because of the
fog and where horses will shiver violently if soaked with cold water.
Having had to pull horses from competition due to the latter, I'd have to
say "it depends."  One of my worst "nightmare" vet checks as a ride vet was
a first check on a foggy hillside where we could barely see our hands in
front of our faces.  Several overzealous riders came in and started sponging
like crazy--and we quickly found ourselves raiding people's campers for
blankets, sleeping bags, quilts, ANYTHING to put on these horses to keep
them warm!  We got all but a couple of them out of there without cramping
up, thank goodness!  And before I get jumped on for being anti-sponging, I'm
not at all.  My sponge is well-worn, believe me!  But COMMON SENSE is the
key here, folks....

This past weekend I had a well-meaning but novice ride vet tell me that I
needed to sponge my horse when I came into the second check.  The sun was
out and it was "warm" in the sunshine where she was working.  But my horse
came in at criteria and completely dry.  (Granted, he had been sweating
earlier and had some "crusties" on him.)  And my campsite was in the shade.
And as soon as I went over there, the breeze started up--and I needed to put
a rug on him even though he wasn't wet.  Thank heavens I didn't follow her
advice!  Those of us in the "frozen nawth" have to consider different
circumstances sometimes.  Next check was a different story--breeze was no
longer cold, and sponging was a good thing.

Heidi