From: DESERTRYDR1@xxxxxxx
Sent: Sep 20, 2003 1:31 AM
To: ladurgin@xxxxxxx
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC]   [AERC-Members] students and 5 day rides

Our school district and I don't get along, for many of the reasons mentioned.
My son has failed every grade since 6th, some of them twice.  He was 17 this
year, and last year was a nightmare of going to truancy court and doing work
crew, and getting threatened with worse.  I talked to his counselor--her
statement was that he would do just great in school if he would do an hour of
homework every night.

My main quarrel with the school district is that they make no effort
whatsoever to actually educate my son, who has ADD and has been on medication
off and
on.  They just insist that he go to school every day, all day.  At 17, he
would have been in 9th grade again, for the third time.  He went to Las Vegas
visit my brothers for two weeks in August, I told him if his uncles would keep
him, he could stay, so he did.  My brother is teaching him a trade, window
tinting, and trying to get him to get his GED.

Sounds like I'm a horrible mom to not require him to finish school, but it
just infuriates me that they insist he attend so they can get those dollars,
but
don't bother to teach him anything.  My son isn't disruptive, most of his
teachers genuinely liked him, they just didn't offer anything beyond the
methods
that work with the A and B students, who would et good grades no matter what.
I do value education, went back to college myself at 34 and got my degree at
38.  I just realize that the US school systems leave a lot to be desired as
far as actually providing an education.  If I had to do it again, I maybe would
have tried to homeschool, even though I work full time.

Lots of kids are able to absorb practical lessons much better than the rote
learning they offer in American schools.  The best phone call I have made in a
long time was to the school to withdraw him.  To those who can't let their
juniors compete in the National Championship or some other important ride
because
the school won't excuse the absence, I say fight all the way to the top to
have the activity recognized for it's educational value.  My son learned more
from the TV and the Internet and from the things we did together than he
learned
in school.  Schools (at least in this district) don't educate kids unless the
kids are the kind who sponge up ANY and ALL info that's presented, no matter
how poorly.  The kids who have different learning styles just get left behind.
jeri