[RC] Electrolytes - Wendy Mancini

    It seems that finding the right balance for the horse & the conditions is a trial & error.  When I first started, only 2 years ago, I was afraid of elytes.  I'm a nurse and was afraid I'd give too much & cause a lethal arrhythmia.  I think it was here on Ridecamp that a Vet told me that horses loose electrolytes faster than water, different than humans.  Since I know that sodium concentration & overall osmolality (concentration) of blood is what triggers thirst, it then made more sense to elyte.
    I started by just using the recommended dose of Lyte Now about every 15 mi.  I soon found that didn't do it.  He wasn't drinking, tired & somewhat dehydrated.  Then I tried SureLytes & gave the recommended dose daily for 4 days prior to a ride.  This was an improvement.  Then I was told, no, this is a waste.  OK, stopped that.  But noticed that we were back to square one.  So, for him, the SureLytes were a good idea.  (SureLytes contain lytes, probiotic & carbo load).  Still didn't seem quite right.  Went to mixing 1 dose SureLytes with applesauce & started giving that pre ride & in between doses of LyteNow.  That seemed to work well, PPED & some really good rides.  Then we had a problem with a muscle cramp at a ride.  Started adding Se & Vit E to daily feed ration.  Good for a couple rides & then muscle cramp again(different muscle, different conditions).  Did some more research, Calcium & Magnesium were the only possibility.  So, we are on the next test:
 Surelyte for 5 days prior to ride.
Day before ride add 1000mg Calcium/500mg Magnesium
Pre ride AM:  SureLyte with Calcium/Magnesium & BCAA.
Every 10 - 15 mi (1-1.5 hr):  SureLyte with Calcium/Magnesium & BCAA & 1 dose LyteNow.  I do have to get off & it's a moment of rest even when we're booking with the front runners - his needs come first, food, water, lytes.
    No more muscle cramps, so far, eats & drinks anything on trail, A's for metabolics throughout ride, max time to P&R 5 min.  Last ride start weight 942, finish 942.  Day 2 finish weight 927(hotter day).  Alert, PPED.
    Is this the right mix for my black bay, 20 yo., big muscled Quarter Horse?  Only time & rides will tell.
    Feed consists of 3 lbs. Omelene 100, 1/2 lb. beet pulp, 1/2lb Empower, & multivite twice a day.  Se & E once a day.  8-10 lbs Timothy hay twice a day.  24 hr. pasture (poor grass) but it's fiber.