Re: [RC] [AERC-Members] students and 5 day rides - rackinfool

Well, ain't that a damn shame??? I am sorry "P", but it pisses me off when mothers/fathers/ anyone blames all of juniors problems on the education system.

This kid has flunked every grade since 6th grade and she doesn't see any sort of light?? Give me a  break. I am so sick and tired of this society not taking responsibility for themselves I could puke. It is always THEIR fault, their being teachers, educators, little league, soccor rules, everything but looking in the mirror at the real culprit.

Convention school is NOT for every kid. Two of my sons quit high school. Brian, my middle son was one of the square pegs in a round hole. He is very smart, but hated public and private school.

A kid who was friends with brian since kindergarten, another lost kid in public school and another very brillient boy, quit public school, that is conventional school and enrolled in an Alternative School. Commonly known as the school for losers.

His mom told me that he was getting all A's doing so well she could not ever have believed it. So I talked to Brian about quitting his school and enrolling in this one.

He was shocked! Said that is a losers school. Well, look at it however you want, but this is your choice.

Didn't he feel like a horses ass when we went to the school for an interview with the principal. He  had Brian's record and said "I see you like to ditch school quite a bit" Brian was embarrased at that little tid bit of information, and squirmed around in his seat, and before he could make up some flimsy story, the Principal looked him in the eye and said" Well guess what, Brian?....I don't give a damn if you never come to this school, If you think I am going to waste my time calling your mother about where you are, think again. Either you want an education or not. We don't care one way or the other."

Man! that was the best thing anyone said to him. He was so shocked,  I was so thrilled. Brian enrolled, graduated and my sister that is a Harvard Grad with two kids that graduated from Wellesley and Stanford, attended Brian's graduation, we had moved to Oregon by then and left him on his own. Could not get there for the ceremony.

My sister who is a big know it all educated to the hilt bitch actually cried at his graduation. The stories that she heard from the "losers" of being kicked out, molested, on drugs, no hope for the future until they came to this school was probably the biggest mind awakening she ever had. She said it was the most awesome graduation she had ever seen.

And the ending of the story is.......My sister got a pHd, in Psychology from Mich.State and now works as a teacher in the Getto's of San Diego.

Brian..........well, the poor kid, he is now the Deputy Medical Examiner for Multnomah County, Oregon.

 I never blamed a soul for any of my problems or my kids. I taught them to pick themselves up by their boot straps and get a life, no body owes them a damn thing on this planet but them and how they earn what they get.

The other son, also went to an alternative high school after dropping out. He didn't settle for a GED, he got his diploma and he did it all on his own. I had nothing to do with it. I told him if he wants to be a dumb ass all his life, fine, but don't be asking me for money or any hand outs or a place to live. He was actually homeless for a year.

Now he is flying out to Oregon from Colorado for a "Flame off" it is the best of the best for glass blower artisans. he gets up to a thousand dollars for one of his pieces.

Lawsuits and blaming everyone but yourselves is the demise of this country. In my HUMBLE opinion. And I might add, this is only MY OPINION, ahem.

amber

---