[RC] ADR & horse deaths - Wendy Mancini

    My below observations are only based on 2 horse deaths that I know of that were colic related.
    1.  In both cases the riders recognized ADR (ain't doing right).
    2.  Both had C or D gut sounds on entering a vet check but "seemed" to improve before leaving.
    3.  Both were treated at ride site for many hours before being shipped to a hospital.
    These observations leave us with several things to think about.
    1.  If the horse ADR and has C or D gut sounds, vets correct me if I'm wrong, I would think the gut may be compromised circulatory wise and returning to trail, even if slightly improved at rest, would only recompromise the gut.  Hard call, maybe we need to reevaluate our thinking on pulling for poor gut sounds.
    2.  In Adios's case it may not have made a difference, I suspect the rupture occurred at the time he regurgitated, but possibly we should make the call to send horses that don't respond quickly to treatment for colic symptoms to a hospital earlier.
    Any thoughts?  I believe my second suggestion is something the Veterinary committee could investigate, i.e. time from onset of symptoms to time of shipping to hospital.  Do we wait too long?
    Certainly we should all be trying to figure out how to prevent the colic to begin with but also the best course to take if we suspect gut compromise and/or presents.