[RC] Adios, Speed and Temperature - Tom Dean

I would hate to see e’lytes and the vets given a bad name, when there are other factors that probably had a lot more to do with it than the e-lytes and the condition the vets tired to remedy.  This was a very fast race for the course.  This course was toughened slightly from last year’s FEI ride.  The winning time was 2 hours +/- faster than last year.  Adios was near the front when he came into King and running at 17.5kph +/-.  This is at a course record pace and is faster than it appears this horse has ever done a hundred before and only done two fifties that fast.  The 61 miles to King are the toughest part of the course, with a 1000’ of climb in the first loop, the same in the second loop, with a lot of difficult single track.  Everybody in the top thirty riders were going fast for this tough course.  That is the nature of championships and horses that have experience with speed tend to be more successful.

Secondly, the temperature part was sneaky.  The ride started in a cool morning and the first two loops are in the trees.  The third loop into King is an exposed SW exposure, in places.  It is a deceivingly open area loop and the temperatures rose in that loop considerably, it may have been as much as twenty-five degrees.  A lot of horses were stressed coming into King.

It is very unfortunate what happen to Adios and I feel very sad for Darlyn ( and my thoughts are with her), but I hope the lesson is not that e’lytes are bad or to lose confidence in our treatment vets.  Dan Frazer in the FEI pre-ride predicted by statistics, one horse will die at the Championship.  Unfortunately he was right.  He was begging riders to take care of their horses, and not to lose sight that the horses are more important than the championship.

Tom