[RC] [Guest] Akhal Teke Convention, in Calfornia - Ridecamp Moderator

Monica Woodman monica_woodman@xxxxxxxxxxx There are not that many endurance riders riding Akhal Teke horses, and since there are only about 250 in the U.S., it is not surprising that we don't run into them every day. However for those of you interested in the breed, there are a handful of Tekes competing in the Pacific South region and you may have seen them at the rides (Ed Spitzer on Otto and Robert Coates in San Diego (I don't know the names of his horses) and myself on Inde.

This year the annual convention is being held locally, in Poway on November
7-9th.  On Sunday, 11/9, there will be pure and cross breds on display.
Several of the endurance riders who are also breeding/training/racing Tekes
will be there and there are some horses for sale.

I'd love to see more endurance riders riding Tekes, in part to support the
breed and keeping it alive and in part to see what they can do and frankly,
it looks like they can do a lot, but there aren't enough riders out there
working them to test and prove them.

I wish I had more time and money to get my hands on more Tekes and bring
them along in endurance.  We have one sport horse (Arab/Akhal Teke) and are
in the process of getting a second one.  Historically and in Europe, these
horses are naturals at it.  So just in case any of you endurance breeders or
riders would have an interest, it isn't often that you would get the chance
to see more than one of these horses at a time.

If you want more info about the convention, go to
http://www.akhal-teke.org/