Re: [RC] [Guest] horses in or out in the storm? - Lydia Cassilly

Greetings Cate,
How close to the eye landfall are you? You will have to evaluate the roof. Sheet metal can cut your horses when it goes--but it tends to catch and wrap around surroundings quickly, so is least dangerous roofing material. Shingles act like missiles in high wind and tiles are absolutely deadly. How much potential debris lying around the premises? What kind of fencing? Barbed wire the greatest threat, wovenwire the easiest to repair for containment after the storm. Look at the roof trusses. If it's an old barn, chances are not good that they've been fitted with hurricane clips. Leaky or rotten boards might be a clue as to how they will hold. Do you live there? Remember that if your area is declared disaster zone, you might not be able to get back in any time soon if you leave. If you are going to be right in the middle of it, remember that horses have tremendous instinct for survival (you might not know it from the way they get injured before the big race, but we're talking natural forces here.) They will seek a low place and turn their butts to the wind. If there is a pond available, they will stand in it and help protect their legs. This is a very tough question, and only you know your circumstances there. We had much debate on this in disaster response team training, but the folks teaching the class uniformly said that they would turn out with full I.D. on the horse. You should have photos of them showing your face in the picture. Read the posts on this from a few days ago. You don't have much time here, so think and decide, then when it's all over.......make a plan for future emergencies Let us know you and your critters are all OK! if you'd like help making a plan in the future, I'd be glad to help and maybe help you get planning for your community. Stay Safe, L