[RC] Motorhome Issues - Roger Rittenhouse

Ok since I am not riding and the latest things I have been doing is
researching the truck trailer weight insurance mess, and DOT regs  yada
yada.. and learning how to shoe my horses.. I have nailed about 50 nails
and shoes to a mess of 2x2 wood blocks shaped like a hoof...and bruised my
knees upper legs and bashed my thumb..
I have trimmed 2 horses today, they look great...took an hour for one.

So here is my motorhome story.
I had MH before they were IN,  like 74 on till last year. So I know much
about doing the MH -horse thing.

My first one was a DIY conversion, an 18 ft trailer cut off and placed on a
INT (63) S1600 frame. This was a nice size truck.. small INT V8 4 sp  sort
of not a big truck but not a pickup. I went all over the east NE. I pulled
a BIG Shoop 4h 3 axle.  Never had a problem but it was a rough ride and a
truck. Had it until 89. Used it when the 'real MH' was in the shop.

Next I wanted a 'real' MH. In the 80s all the class C rigs were junkers,
bad frames etc lots of overhang. I bought a 76? Dodge 25ft Class A, Pulled
a 4h stock most of the time. It was very bad for brakes NO STOP when loaded
or overloaded. Had the dodge 440. Ran well for about 45k -traded in on..

Next Allegro 85 25ft Class A. I kept that until 96 with 98K miles never
rebuilt only broke down ONE time. Pulled overloaded ALL the time. I did
LOTS of mods to this rig Chev 454 hopped up for towing with a super trans
rebuild job. Got about 6 MPG loaded. I really knew this P30 chassis and
that Chev 454 eng. It was  a good pulling rig. Stopping was marginal had to
be very careful, I up graded the brakes ..Sold in 96 for...

Last MH the BIG white TRUCK rig. Had this  since I have been in the SE. It
is a monster. Pix on the web site.
Nice rig never had any major problems It has over 400000   yes - and 125K
on the engine. I put on about 35 K
Went allover the place - out west , Canada, ME VT...
This IS a big truck MH. But alas way too big for getting around.
However it was NEVER overloaded never had problems stopping, while slow up
hill it had plenty of engine to pull. I put more junk in that rig plus the
trailer then I thought. When I off-loaded the BP trailer it filled the bed
of the PU.
That INT DT466 is some engine. It got about 12mpg loaded. I never worried
about some one hitting me - only if they hit the trailer.
For it to pull the trailer easy and soft I used an AIRRIDE air hitch. I had
a rear camera but I used it watch my horse, even though I could see outside
also.

Now that I have the Pickup-LQ-GN setup, I am not really as pleased .. it is
nice BUT the issues are many.

I would prefer to go back to a MH and just MAY do that.. but not now.
Problem with MH is the lack of  a 4x4
Gas mileage - Diesel is the way to go BUT the shortest  class A with a
diesel is 30 to 32 ft.
I think that is too long.
One thing the Diesel pushers do NOT have much rear end over hang thus the
bumpy dippy ride is not there. The trailer travels very nice.
I would use my AIR RIDE hitch.

What I would look for
Not over 28ft.
Class A but you are stuck with a gasser
Class C on the FORD F450 looks great new for this year.
You will be able to order the DIESEL engine,  this I believe is a must.
Since they are built on the std F450 chassis and frame I see no real reason
why a 4x4 could not be ordered, but I have yet to see a mfgr offer that.

Now to the real world. Most of us cannot afford that setup.
So I would opt for a FORD based F350 chassis, with the extended rear rails-
this is std on the 90 year on models.
Find one with the long wheel base and short rear overhang.
Mid bath - rear bed- water tanks are mid ship
Replace stock brakes with HD super stopping aftermarket rotors and pads. I
did this on my F350 PU major difference.
Exhaust brake
Load equalizer hitch  anti sway bar
Extended trailer tow bar - as Joe said - I had my BP trailer ( sold) done
that way by the mfg. You need to add about one foot to keep from jack
knifing and trashing the rear of the MH/ front of the trailer.

Watch the weight remember the F350 will be limited to a safe combined
weight of 20K and about 11500 gvw.
Same as pickup, its the same chassis..
That is the MH loaded
Again remember this chassis is nothing more then a F350 pickup truck with a
LOT more weigh on the chassis. It is over loaded from the factory???
So you have to pull a light trailer without much junk, Therefore,  see,
you are not really gaining anything-
Go with the F350 PU and the LQGN

Unless - you go with  the CLASS A route on a Ford, Gillig or Freightliner
chassis. Shortest one that is good will be 24ft BUT that chassis may be
limited also since the rig is bigger AND you WILL put in more JUNK. I think
most of the 24ft to 28ft Class A rigs are on the 1 1/2 ton chassis sort of
the F450 weight limits.
The longer one 28 ft and over are on bigger HD frames with good weight
ratings that can be safely loaded.

There really is no good solution, You go longer get a super chassis with
power diesel  etc but still NO 4x4 so you WILL get stuck. The you cannot
get around well.

Its a  no win ..
I will just wait until I see the F450 chassis under these new class c rigs
with the diesel. These rigs will be the mid size 26 to 30 ft. With optimum
at 26ft.

There was few front end diesels in the Allegro class A 28ft early 90 but
they dont make them anymore, and you will never find a used one...at least
I only found one and it was over priced.

The motorhome option is great, lots of room to live and carry stuff, but
you still have to watch the weight on the Class C and smaller Class A rigs.

What I REALLY want is a FL60 RV conversion (that is a real RV RIVA ) with a
4x4 to pull the LQGN. You can get a nice one for about $150,000 new or used
about 60K  but still no 4x4...and still a BIG truck to get around the
camp..not your going to the store pickup truck.

I need to win the TN first time lottery if they ever get it going...

All packed for Biltmore weather looks great.
Roger R
V-MAX Equine HRM
Equine Performance Technology
800 655 8629  423 253 3882 Phone or Fax