[RC] [Guest] Tipperary eventer - Ridecamp Moderator

Carol Giles lawdoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I started riding in a Tipperary eventer after seeing a flurry of horse related injuries in the emergency room where I work - many of which would have been less severe had a body protector been worn. The down side to the vest is the fact that they are hot. This can be lessened by ordering the vest with a mesh covering instead of the regular covering, but there is no way around the fact that they are hot. I have found that once my t-shirt under the vest is soaked, I am comfortable and don't feel like I am cooking. I just make sure that I drink plenty of fluids to counter the additional loss of fluids. (When riding in cold weather, the heat retaining feature is actually nice!)

If you decide to get a vest, getting a proper fit is essential for two reasons. First, a poorly fitting vest won't really give you any protection. Second, the vests are very comfortable if fitted properly but can rub and/or hit the back of your saddle if not fitted properly. The first person I talked to about a vest told me to order a medium and the vest drove me nuts. I finally tracked down someone who had been trained in fitting and I actually ended up in an extra small. Now I don't even know I have it on. Just an FYI, although I haven't weighed my vest, but bet it weighs under a pound.