Re: [RC] Tights again! - Stephanie E Caldwell

Only now I have a dilema. I live in MN and although it will be 80 degrees
the next few days by the end of the week it will >>be 50 degrees.  So now I
need to know, what do you guys prefer to wear as far as cold weather goes?
I used to wear >>jeans but the seams have gotten to be a real pain for
longer trail rides.  Do I layer tights?

I noticed every reply you got said tights were good to 50 degrees. I'm
*really* cold natured, and only wear tights in the heat of summer here in
the south. If it's below 80 then I'm chilly in tights, below 70 and I'm
cold. Yes, I'm weird LOL, but my winter clothes probably rival those of
y'all that live in Arctic conditions! I've ridden in weather down into
single digits and sleet, but I can't handle being cold! My regular tights
are Devon Aire Helment Helpers, the ones with the stripe down the side.

If it's highs in the 70's I'll wear jeans over my tights. That's usually
enough to keep me comfortable, but if it's windy or I know I'm going to get
wet then I'll throw chaps on over my jeans, also. I can always take a layer
off out there, but it's not fun to be cold. I *always* wear waterproof
boots, but I have a dry pair of socks and two plastic bags in my saddle bag,
taht way if my feet get wet, I can put dry socks on and plastic bags and my
feet will be dry inside my wet boots. I usually wear cotton socks and
regular waterproof boots until it get's really cold. I wear short sleeves,
but carry a long sleeved heavy weight denim shirt with me.

If it's 60's I'll wear cotton breeches/tights and jeans, if it's windy I
wear chaps over them. I have two pairs of chaps. For them to help with
warmth and win IMO they have to be tight. So, I have a pair that's tight
over jeans and a pair that's tight over three layers. I carry a windproof
polarfleece jacket with me to wear over a long sleeved T shirt or other long
sleeved shirt.

If it's in the 50's I'll wear my nylon breeches, thermal underwear over them
(they have nasty seams on the inside of the leg!), and jeans on top, usually
with chaps. I find that nylon dries underneath quicker, where cotton just
sticks to your skin when it's wet. I'll usually wear Polarfleece or wool
socks with a pair of boots that's a size larger to accomodate my layers. At
this point I start wearing silk underwear on top with a quilted flannel
shirt, carry a windproof jacket and wear windproof gloves.

If it's in the 40's I'll wear Polarfleece tights, jeans, and chaps. I find
that just tights is not warm enough for me, regardless of what they're made
out of. I wear heavy wool socks, silk turtleneck, down vest, and a flannel
shirt.

If it's in the 30's I wear polarfleece tights, thermal underwear over them,
jeans, and chaps. Silk Underwear, sweat shirt, down vest, and flannel shirt.
Mylar socks with wool on top, winter boots of some sort.

Below 30's I wear polarfleece tights, silk underwear overthem, and insulated
jeans with chaps. Silk underwear, cotton thermal underwear, sweatshirt, down
vest, flannel shirt, and down coat on top. Wool socks against my skin, mylar
socks on top of those, and another pair of wool socks on that, with winter
hunting boots.

If it's raining or windy I'll wear my oilskin duster with or without the
sheepskin liner, depending on temps. I have a full ski suit that I ride in
when it's wet out, bib overalls and ski jacket with ski gloves. I don't like
being wet and cold! I've got down filled quilted flannel shirts that I wear
very often doing farm chores. My down vest is from Lands End and Eddie
Bauer, the Eddie Bauer is much warmer, but the Lands is more wind proof. I
wear Cherokee Windproof Polarfleece tops and pants over everything if it's
really windy and cold.

Just my way of doing things... I don't like being wet and cold, I caught a
chill years back and have been cold for almost eight years now. That sounds
primitive, but it's true!

Steph