[RC] nightmare part3 - Julie Herrera

At last, I was able to go to see Allegra.  It seemed as though it took
forever to get to the clinic.  When I got there I was amazed to see that
they were stitching that big wound.  It turned out that it was more of a
slash  than a chunk of flesh missing like I had originally thought.  They
put in 15 stitches.  She needed 2 staples for the cut beneath her eye.They
wrapped both front legs for abrasions , one leg above the knee, the other
around the fetlock.  The vet said that she had lost allot of blood but not
enough to warrant a transfusion.  They took her to a box stall and hooked
her up to an IV to hydrate her.  I just couldn't believe that she was alive,
standing, and walking.  It is a miracle.  She was not happy when I had to
leave her there.  She started circling her stall and calling out.

My dad brought Ken to the clinic so I wouldn't have to drive home.  That was
when I finally broke down.  I was just sobbing uncontrollably.  You ladies,
and maybe men, know what it is like.  When you cry so much that your sinuses
are clogged and you can't even blow your nose.  Then you get a screaming
headache because of the pressure. And your eyes are swollen shut.  And just
when you think you are finally calm you remember what just happened and
start sobbing all over again.    I just kept asking myself, "  How could I
have let this happen, how will Allegra ever trust me again?"  Thank goodness
I have a wonderful husband and friends that were there to support me!

One of my friends took me to visit Allegra the next day.  I was so happy to
see her so relaxed.  Then I found out they had to sedate her because she
wouldn't settle down after I had left the night before.  I fed her a pound
of a carrots which she was quite happy about.  She was moving around very
well  and the stitches were holding.  Again, she got a little upset when it
was time for me to go.  Today, I was able to go down and spend more time
with her.  I cleaned her legs and put Swat on her to keep the flys away.
Brought her a big bucket of beet pulp, boy was she glad to see that!  And
another pound of carrots.  I took a chair and a book and just talked to her
a long time.  She wasn't so upset when I had to leave this time.  She should
be able to come home on Tues.  and while I can't wait to have her back here,
I am also worried about caring for her wounds.  The vet said that usually
the first few days go pretty well.  It is around day 5 or 6 that things can
go wrong.  Great, that is right when she will be home.

If any one has any advise on caring for wounds with and without stitches I
would sure appreciate it. Also, are there supplements I should be giving to
help strengthen her?  She gets a good multi vitamin and extra vitamin E
regularly.

I need to replace my horse trailer.  Now I have to decide  do I want another
straight load or a slant load?  I really believe that in this particular
accident, the way the trailer came apart probably saved Allegra's life.  Are
they designed that way on purpose?  I think a slant load would have been
forced to flip over or crushed in around her.  Do any of you engineers out
there know the safety aspects of the two types of trailers?  I know that
people say horses seem to prefer to travel in the slant but is it less safe?
I only use this trailer for short hauls  so I think collision safety is more
important than long term comfort for the horse.

Everybody give your horses big hugs today and drive carefully!!

Julie Herrera and Allegra who just wants to come home!