[RC] BSF Part 2 of 9 - April Johnson

WEDNESDAY

We were hoping to leave on Wednesday. Tanna was entered in the 30 miler on
Friday, and we like to get to a ride early to allow him to settle in and
recover from the trailer ride. However, we both had to work Wednesday and
then Daniel still had to finish putting the corral panel rack on the new
trailer. We had put a cut-off time of 3 PM. If we couldn't leave by then, we
were going to wait until morning. We did not want to get to the camp after
dark. 3 PM came and we were not ready, so we relaxed a bit and were ready to
go by early evening, leaving a pleasant time of relaxing before going to bed
early.

THURSDAY

I woke up around 5 AM Thursday morning and began the last minute
preparations to leave. There were no major hinderances and we were on the
road by 8 AM. We stopped at our local gas station to fill up and grab some
breakfast food to eat along the way. I discovered they have wonderful
cinnamon rolls. Very gooey and very yummy. :-)

Daniel and I passed the time by listening to an audio book from our local
library. The miles seemed to pass slowly, but pleasantly. We were following
a storm that had passed through Nashville earlier that day. We hoped the
weather for the ride would be better than the weather we'd had in Nashville
for the past several days. Rainy, overcast, and MUGGY. Yuck.

At the exit mentioned in the ride directions, we stopped again for gas for
our guzzler. We opened the feed doors for the horses to look around and got
the dog out of her pen in the dressing room for a breath of fresh air. As
Daniel started to pump the gas, the radiator of the truck overflowed.
Fortunately, it wasn't a problem. We didn't even need to refill the
radiator, as there was still plenty in the overflow container. I offered
water to all the animals (all of them declined). Soon we were on our way
again.

The sun had come out and the air was pleasantly dry and cooler than we were
used to. Very nice indeed.

After awhile, we entered Big South Fork Recreation Area. As we approached
the end of the pavement, a volunteer met us and informed us that we might
want to check out the fields before parking. The area had had a LOT of rain
in the last days, especially overnight, and the fields for camping were
quite muddy in some places. Since we have a 2-wheel drive, the possibility
of getting stuck was high. We were told we could board our horses at the
stalls and camp in the main campground, but we opted to drive on and check
out the situation.

We rolled forward, then stopped the truck. We both got out and walked on
into the field for smaller rigs. After some walking around, discussing and
pondering, we decided to risk pulling into the field. Daniel said the ground
underneath seemed solid and if we could stay away from the lowest lying
areas, we'd be ok. We picked out a spot next to the Isaacs (the ride
managers). We were planning to leave on Saturday, so wanted a clear shot out
without having the possibility of getting boxed in.

Walking back to the truck, we unloaded the horses to make the trailer
lighter and hopefully less likely to get stuck while Daniel was getting the
rig into camping position.

I strolled leisurely after the truck and later was glad I hadn't seen the
speed Daniel whipped that truck through the field! I did see the results in
the camper and that was enough for me! However, kudos to Daniel, the truck
was parked exactly where we'd discussed and we were not stuck! Whoohoo!
After being stuck at Liberty Run in May, we were not anxious to repeat that
experience!

It was around 12 PM, I think, when we got there. We spent some time setting
up the horse pen. Daniel took the 9 panels off the top of the trailer and we
discussed how exactly to set up the pen. I was lobbying for using the side
of the trailer as one of the barriers for the pen. We had 8 10-foot panels
and one 12-foot panel and I wanted to maximize the space for the horses.
Especially since I was going to keep them separate.

Serts is a pig. 950 pounds, I found out, from the SERA scales set up near
the vet check. And he eats like a pig. Or a horse. I know perfectly well he
would eat and eat and I would have no idea if Tanna was having a problem
with food. I like to know how much the horses are eating and drinking. Serts
was to get very limited beet pulp and limited hay, while Tanna was to get
generous beet pulp and unlimited hay. The only way to make sure they got
what they needed was to keep them apart.

After awhile, we had a pen up and we turned the horses in together. They
would get separated later.

...To Be Continued

April
Nashville, TN