Re: [RC] wound question - Truman Prevatt

This was Kathy's first ride since she broke her arm in the dressage arena (got to watch dressage ) a couple years ago. And given the heat down here in the summer, 30 miles was a stretch for her.  We normally do about a 10 mile trail ride the day prior to a ride just to shave the edge off but didn't get to do that. Also because of the rain we didn't get to ride as much as we wanted. So the horses were razor sharp and fresh - to fresh.

We went out last and the horses were wonderful for the first 5 miles and then we caught up to a couple of horses and they decided they don't need to be fine any longer. Ego starts his challenging of the bird. We normally play leep frog with the lead and they like that, except they didn't want to play that game that day. So we did a lot of bringing them back to a walk to reset the brain. We get to the first check and they are in great shape. We leave and they settle some till we got to the trun that took them out of the gourge back - a trail that they knew. We get to the top of this and the trail turns onto a gravel road for about a mile and 1/2. Kathy is pretty tired by now. I told her just to put Ego on the Bird's butt and we would walk and trot on in.

We are coming up the road and Ego picks up a little lop, common for him and his lop is a lot easier to ride than a trot. We come around a slight curve and Ego needs to be on the other lead. Now Ego was on the track some years ago and he was 3 wins in 3 starts when he twisted his testicles and had to be gelded. Ego knows the flying lead change and accelerate trick. Kathy asked for a lead change and Ego responded. He changed leads, hoped up on the bank and bolted past the Bird. When he jumped up on the bank he did two things, dumped Kathy and flew passed me knocking my foot out of the stirrup.

The Bird picked up the challenge. If you haul a horse in before thay get full speed you normally don't have a problem, but I had to get my stirrup first and by the time I did we are headed down this race track at full speed. I had a snaffle but it was pretty much worthless. That's when my mind wondered back to the "whack 'em between the ears and debate on ridecamp and longed for a 2x4 in my hand <g>. I kept him out of warp speed by successive flying lead changes but couldn't break up his stride enough to get him back.  The little snot Ego just kept ahead of us. We came to a point where there was a field on the left but the Bird was not going to turn, no way. I even leaned forward and pulled his head back to my knee using his nose band and he was still going forward. So I knew that this was a wreck waiting to happen.

The road turned onto a single track trail up a hill and I knew if we could make the turn, he would have to slow down enough on that trail I could snatch him back into control. Trouble was he didn't finish the turn. His feet slipped out from under him in the gravel and he proceeded to slam me down on the gravel. When I figured out which time zone I was in they were gone. This was about 3 to four miles out. FWIW, I didn't hit on the back of my helmet, I hit on the side and thank goodness for the helmet. Also thank goodness for the stirrups leathers that come off of english saddles since my stirrup and leather was laying beside me.

I walked back to see if Kathy was okay - and the best sight I saw that day was her walking up the road. She wasn't as happy to see me as I was to see her since somehow it was my fault - such a burden a husband has to bare. Anyway we start walking to 3 to 4 miles back to camp. After about a mile two wonderful people ride toward us and called our names. They had come out to look for us. They put us on their horses so we could at least get a ride up the long climb coming out of Bandy Creek. After that we got off and the wonder folks that rescued us went on their way on their trail ride and we walked in.

By the time we got back to camp, the horses had been untacked and the vets had looked at them.

The good news is except for a little road rash the Jbird is okay. Probably a little sore but I'm not sure he is sore enough:-).  Ego is none the worse for the wear. Kathy is sore but otherwise unhurt. On the other hand, my back had been bothering me. My pelvis seemed to be out of line. The Bird slammed me down on the opposite side I usually land on those infrequent times I do come off. I think he fixed me up. My back feels better than it has in a long time.

So all I got to say is it was one more endurance ride where "I cheated death yet again!"

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Truman

Epilog: While I know a bit is "not the answer," the Bird is going to get a mullen mouth pelham and I'm going to start riding him in double reins. That's the way I always rode the hell bitch and no matter what she did I was always able to snatch her up into control during those tense moments and she is one hell of a lot stronger and more bull headed (LOL...after all she is a female ) than the Bird ever though of being.