Re: [RC] wound question - Truman Prevatt

We normally go up the the BSF a few days before the ride to get they used to the trails - to actually get out of the FL heat would be more like it. There is a nice stable there and a nice campground within 1/2 mile of the stable. We arrived Monday got the horses squared away, got ourselves squared away. We went out for a 15 mile ride on Tuesday. Then Tuesday night the skies opened up. Wednesday when it broke we went over to ride and when my wife got her horse out and his right front knee was the size of a football. His two lower front legs were also a little puffy. By that afternoon the knee and the lower legs were oozing a clear fluid. I am sure the lower legs were from the famed BSF chigger, but the knee is still a mystery.

But he was not lame. I suspect he had gotten bitten by a spider or scorpion in the tall grass he was insisting in standing in and eating on the trail on Tuesday. We let them graze and I went for a ride. We put a poultice on Ego's injuries and that seemed to help a little. On Thursday we saddled up and rode over to the ridecamp (about 1/2 mile away) and he was perfectly sound. We weren't going to ride Friday but wanted to get a vet's opinion on it. He was sound. The vet could not find anything. wrong but didn't know if the insect theory was right or not. He said ride him but stay close to camp. We did a 6 mile loop up and down hill and Ego was a perfect ass, kept wanting to go faster than Kathy wanted, kept challenging his buddy the Jbird. We came back and had the two vets that were now there look at him again and he was fine. The exercise had brought the swelling down some but it was still a lot bigger than the other.

On Friday she brought him back to have the vet check again saying she didn't intend to ride him. The vet said, why not, he's perfectly fine to go. So on Saturday morning - big knee and all we went out the BSF 30 took it slow. She figured she could pull at the check. He looked wonderful at the check and was absolutely full of himself. The horses both finished in time, but unfortunately the riders finished about 40 minutes later and over time but that's a different story. Ego's knee didn't bother him in the least and has been fine since we got home. It's almost back to normal now.

I would have never thought that a horse's knee could be that big and him still be sound. So I see no problem with riding with some sort or wound, cut, etc. if by riding he doesn't make it worse or it is not bothering him at the time of the ride. But I would let the vet help in making that assessment.

Truman

Cindy Collins wrote:

I'm sure you'll get many different answers.  I've taken my little mare to
many rides with cuts and scrapes and even stitches.  It's become sort of a
joke in my local area.  She has this amazing talent for getting into a
kicking match w/other horses the week before a ride.  My philosophy is if
she's sound, she goes.   Or, if she were a ranch horse, would I still use
her.  Never had a problem as long as I went straight to the vets and
showed them everything and made sure it was marked on my pre-vet card.  Of
course, if she needs drugs, she can't go.  Good luck.  Cindy