[RC] Range Rider helmets - Dana B.

There has been some discussion recently about the safety of Range Rider helmets. So I thought I'd play crash-test dummy to see if they really work.

The good news is that the helmet works very well for protection
against impact. I hit hard enough to break the foam into two pieces in the back, knock me out for a second or two, blur my vision, lose short term memory, and I never had even a hint of a headache. I even passed the CT scan test.

The Achilles heel might be in the harnessing system, though. The plastic hanger that the harness goes through in back poked a hole in the back of my head, an "x-shape" marking the point of impact I suppose. No big deal, 7 stitches fixed it, but I'm wondering if that's why the certification was pulled.

Please don't ask how I came to know these things. :-P

In hindsight, I believe my Tipperary Sportage would have protected my head better as it goes farther down my skull in back. But I am very grateful to the Range Rider. Had I not had a helmet on I am convinced that my 10yo would have cradled his dying mother in his arms while my 13yo remembered for the rest of his life how his mom died on his birthday. That's why I wear a helmet, even for a 5 minute ride in the corral, which is all this was....

Dana B.

ddbpaso@xxxxxxxxx