Re: [RC] figuring mph riding - Susan Young Casey

I'd figure more like 5 to 6 mph trot.  That's just a forward trot...not the extended dressage trot in a manicured arena for a few strides.  I'll bet you did more like 14 or 15 miles.  Doing 15 miles with constant forward movement in 3 hours means you averaged 5 mph.  That sounds about right to me.

A horse can average a 6 mph trot with little effort.  My guy is lazy at a 7 mph trot.  Charlie Brown has a real nice ground-covering trot that averages 9 mph and he LOVES to canter and can maintain a 13 mph pace.

The important thing is that #1 YOU RODE and #2 you rode for 3 hours.  Hope you both enjoyed yourselves! Visit Smiley Central!

DAldr94141@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hi. So what if you don't know how many miles you rode. Does anyone know approx. how fast a horse trots? I know every horse is different but say I went on a trail ride like I did today. We rode for 3 hours. We trotted about half that time. So, I figured about 4-5 mph. for trotting (not extended trotting) and about 3-4 mph for walking. So did I perhaps do 10 miles?

Susan Young Casey, Princess of Pink; secretary, RRRSA
Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)

Do you Yahoo!?