[RC] RC: Owhyee Rides - DESERTRYDR1

A big THANKS to Steph, in particular, for inviting me down to help, and to
Heidi, Pat Murray, Marilyn Hornbaker (who was celebrating her and Sonny's
anniversary--we wondered why you parked so far from everyone), Karen Steenhof,
Gene
Nance, Sarah Metcalf, Dot Wiggins, Darlene Anderson, Carol Brand and dozens of
others, who shared their knowledge and experience with me.  For those I met
from Ridecamp, it was really a thrill to put faces to names.

On Monday, I got to be the timer, which was just great, such a learning
opportunity!  I hope I didn't do too bad, I think I got everyone's time at
least
within a minute.  I have helped at a couple of rides before, but to be the
TIMER
was really a thrill.

I went away saying that, as much as I enjoy riding, I (almost) enjoy
volunteering more, because I get to talk to everyone, look at their horses, sit
in on
vet conversations, and best of all, learn new things about endurance riding!

My goal is to put on a ride in SE Washington.  When I first started talking
about it with Sarah Metcalf, I thought maybe next year.  Having seen Steph in
action, and the complexity of the planning, and having talked to several ride
managers, who gave me their insights freely, I think now it will be more of a
3-5 year project.  The more you know, the more you realize how ignorant you
really are...

And last but certainly not least, if any of you get to go to a ride where
Bill Basham practices his culinary skills, it is MANDATORY that you go.  He
prepared dinner all three nights, I'm only sorry that I missed Saturday night's
feast.  Aside from being an excellent natural horseman trainer, Bill is a chef
extrordinaire.  I can't even begin to pick out my favorite course of the two
meals I experienced.  jeri