Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2003 7:56 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Nutrition

I am diabetic.  I have done the Atkins diet on and off for years.  I believe our society has become addicted to carbs...or at least the highly refined ones.  (I also think we are making our horses diabetic as well but that's another topic).  I have done the diet on and off mostly because yep, I am an addict big time and my worst addiction is milk.  I can drink a gallon of milk a day and exclude all other liquids, even water.  I had to give it up cold turkey because I can't drink just one cup!  I have cut down on the carbs I used to eat and for a lot of folks simply cutting out pop is the key for them.  But I DO have more energy, my blood sugars are finally stabilizing during the day within normal range and my fasting sugar is almost down to normal.  Yesterday I did have a hamburger WITH a bun....my blood sugar went up briefly then came right back down to normal.  This has not been so for me in the past.  Is it reasonable for me to try and do this the rest of my life?  Well, when I think of how good it feels to have energy at 3 or 4 or 5 p.m. and not feel like I will HAVE to have a nap or pass out at those times (because of HIGH sugars) and when I think of how I want to continue riding and be healthy for MANY years, then it is my choice just as smoking or drinking is for some....I don't want to give up this feeling and those wonderful NORMAL numbers even if I don't lose another ounce (I've only lost 6 # to date).  My sister is on the verge of going off insulin and only having to take a pill.  How cool is THAT?  I also bet our blood pressure will improve soon as well.  Another nice side effect!  :)  Nelson has lost over 10 pounds by the way and we just started a couple of weeks ago.
I see what I believe are insulin resistant horses frequently...when people follow my advice (most of it gleaned from my distance riding books, Ridecamp and Susan G., DVM), their horses improve.  Every time.  And when they don't, their horses start to have chronic laminitis, abcesses all the time, etc.  I have actually seen some of these horses develop large lumps of FAT.  Just like I did!!!  :)  Anyway, think about this....if we learned the truth (that Pop Tarts are NOT a heart healthy food because they might be low in FAT), then the cardiologists and nutritionists and all those other health professionals who make their living off of our UNHEALTHY eating habits and lifestyles would be out of business!!!  I am going to choke the next nutritionist (human not equine, Susan!) who tries to tell me I should follow the "pyramid" eating guide...I did and it made my diabetes WORSE.  OK, off of my soapbox now.  Sorry!!!  :)
Miles of smiles,
Maggie

---