RE: Re: [RC] claming agents that won't test positive, know any? - Alison Farrin

From Miriam Webster's dictionary:
DRUG:
  1. A substance used in the diagnosis, treatment, or prevention of a disease or as a component of a medication.
  2. Such a substance as recognized or defined by the U.S. Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.
  3. A chemical substance, such as a narcotic or hallucinogen, that affects the central nervous system, causing changes in behavior and often addiction.

Using your interpretation, the only possible way you could get things like Rescue Remedy banned would be to assert that it is a chemical substance.  At which point you have to include magnesium, alfalfa, and grain just to name a few wildly differing, but naturally occurring substances in the same definition.  You are implying that because YOU think its a drug, it belongs on the list.

I'm sorry, I'm just not buying it.

I don't use any herbal substances either, but I don't think you can bend the rule to fit your perception.

Alison A. Farrin
Innovative Pension
Innovative Retirement Services
858-748-6500 x 107
alison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Morris [mailto:bobmorris@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2003 8:31 PM
To: Sisu West Ranch; rackinfool; Stacy Jones; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Re: [RC] claming agents that won't test postive, know any?

When we wrote the original rule it was very simple. In 1989 it consisted of the following

13. DRUGS OF ANY KIND ARE PROHIBITED IN ALL EQUINES PARTICIPATING IN ALL SANCTIONED RIDES.

13.1 The list of drugs on the prohibited list in California was accepted by the AERC Board, it will supersede previous AERC Drug Policy.

But that was to simple and easy to understand so out Vets campaigned for the next iteration which brought us :

13. The integrity of Endurance Competition requires that the equine

is not influenced by any drug, medication or veterinary treat-ment.

Endurance equines must compete entirely on their natu-ral

ability. AERC prohibits from competition equines who con-tain

evidence of the administration of abnormal substances or

of normal substances in abnormal amounts (exogenously ad-ministered

compounds even if normally found endogenously),

Since the complete effects of such administration cannot bt

known, the fairness and safety require the prohibition of such

practices.

13.1 AERC sanctioned rides are subject to drug testing by the AERC or gov-ernmental

agencies. Riders and owners of equines entered in AERC sanc-tioned

events grant authority for their equines to be tested by virtue of

their entry into the ride.

And from this it has blossomed into our present rule that every one hammers on. I still believe that the original 13. DRUGS OF ANY KIND ARE PROHIBITED IN ALL EQUINES PARTICIPATING IN ALL SANCTIONED RIDES was the best all encompassing rule of the bunch.

Bob

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID