From: Tina Hicks
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 8:38 AM
Subject: Re: [AERC-Members] Newbie lecture

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Glenda R. Snodgrass wrote:

> At 04:41 PM 8/24/2003 -0600, Heidi Smith wrote:
> > I fly in the face of many here--I NEVER NEVER NEVER electrolyte green
> > horses!!  Why?  Because I want them to LEARN to drink WITHOUT the

I would agree with this until I heard Susan G's talk this past March at
the convention and realized just how *tough* endurance riding is on a
horse metabolically - whether they show any "problems" or not. Now I think
the other way, elec them till they are pickled (as she says <g>) and
they'll have no choice but to drink. Ken Marcella (fabulous SE vet) says
the same thing - a horse who had access to water (and is not already in
trouble) really can't be overelectrolyted.

Now before someone jumps up with their story of how they know a horse who
was killed with one too many doses I'm sure there are exceptions - his
point was to USE electrolytes early and often.

I've always suspected that many of our horses are closer the proverbial
edge than most of us ever know (or want to know to be honest) - her talk
(and comments like Ken's) confirmed it. I'm not talking about over ridden
horses - I'm talking about a nice slow 50 in decent weather.

I'll never skimp on elec again or wonder if I should give them. Dose
first, ask questions later :)

Tina

As an aside to this, I was at BSF one year when a horse got injured and
had to be sent to UT for treatment - I can't remember what the injury was
but it wasn't metabolics related. I was talking to Ken Marcella about it
and he said he had to really explain to the vets that it was okay to do
surgery on the horse. They didn't want to because the various liver
enzymes (I *think* I have that right) were wwaaaayyyyyy out of line. Ken's
comment was that they are always that far out of line after a ride -and it
generally takes *10 days* for them to come back to normal - the horse
couldn't wait that long for treatment :-p