[RC] [Guest] My Horses ride death (2002) and current Protests - Ridecamp Moderator

d ekhaml enduroarabians@xxxxxxxxx
Hi Ridecampers,
I have been following all the posts about the current
protests and since my horse died after a ride last year
wanted to comment. I have read some critical posts about
the deaths last season, with some implying since my horse had a ruptured stomach "he must have been overridden." Sometimes for reasons unknown,things happen. Tracy Tromp was an excellent rider and took impeccable care of Snow Dragon and it happened to her too. Those that know me and knew Razal, know that we were a team and I took very good care of him. His death haunts me to this day and I have not done a ride since, even though I have a new horse. If you were not there it is easy to pass judgement. Education is so readily available in this sport, there is NO EXCUSE. I came from the PS region and was blessed with some excellent mentors. The PS region is probably the richest for people willing to help IF YOU ARE OPEN TO IT! I trust Lynn Glazer. I wasn't there, but a woman who thumped a horse 3 times? And then blames others for not educating her? Does someone have to tell you not to leave a sick horse? Her horse suffered horribly and not just overnight but for 2 weeks until his death. Then she LIED about where he was. She wasn't interested in education when she continued RACING after he CONTINUED to thump. It just makes me ill to read multiple protests dealing with horse abuse. I am glad we have this system in place. Stepping up the education awareness is awesome. I have owned horses for 24 years and thought I had fairly decent knowledge until I started endurance. Although every horse is different and what works for one may not for another, I have learned SO MUCH by being in this sport! I like Becky Hackworths idea and I think keeping an open mind is equally important! No one person is right about everything especially since horses are individuals. There is nothing wrong with being competitive; I was blessed with an extremely talented horse and it was great to top 10 all the time, but I would give back every shirt, bucket, hoof pick etc. we ever won to have him back. We are not competing for money (thank God)and even if we were, is it really worth the death of the horse? I think that people that are found guilty of these speed abuses should BE REQUIRED TO DO A RIDE AND TIE!! Then they can see what they are asking their horse to do. In fact, everyone physically capable should jump off and just try jogging up or down a hill on the course. Gives you a whole new perspective on things. I know alot of folks do this already and even some top riders do this and still top ten! The thing is, all the education in the world isn't going to stop someone hell bent on winning. Only the Vet pulling them, a justifiable protest or heaven forbid, the death of the horse will. I will do endurance again, and although I don't know what I could have done differently with Razal to have prevented what happened ( he didn't show any problems during the ride until we finished) will pull if he even flicks his tail the wrong way. It is nice that there are people on Ridecamp willing to defend the actions of this woman since like I said, we weren't there, but the circumstances at rides prior to the ride that causes her horses death, her actions at this ride, and lying about it after are indefensible in my book. She really wasn't interested in being educated and her actions speak volumes. And we all know there are others out there, lets just hope we are not discussing them because they killed their horse. This is where educating will hopefully help. Nip it in the bud. After all , these horses are helpless and at our bidding. Lets treat them right after all they willingly do for us. Jumping off the soapbox and going out to hug my geldings, Debbie