[RC] North West to SE Horse followup - Roger Rittenhouse

Thank you to all who responded to my questions about moving a 9 yr old MT
horse to TN.

There does appear to be a mixed review and opinions.
Most were positive and he will do well.

I asked 3 SE end vets as well as my vet- they ALL do not believe there will
be any problems, after the first 6 months.
They ALL agree he will be very tough with heart and lung. And after  he
figures out the heat humidity thing he will recover faster - since he has
been at 4 to 7k ft all his life.

As for bugs and things - most do adapt and they - vets-  felt  at least
here in TN there is no problem.
Comment from vet - about the FL horses  bug sand  etc problems, was" well
most all horses from FL have bug sand problems".. but they do get use to
it.

We are at the  second stage with this horse - my vet asked for a local vet
- HA  there is ONLY one there and he is not 'local' by SE standards.
It has to be the owners vet since he knows the horse best, a written exam
and xrays will be ordered Monday or when ever I can talk with the vet.
My vet saw a few issues in the video but not too concerned. Will decide
after the xrays arrive.
But for now it looks good.

If the xrays and report are good and after my vet reviews them, and may
call the vet - to consult.. I may be on my way west in a few weeks.

This is going to cost more then planned.
Truck needs 4 rear tires.
While I wanted to up grade to a F450 for previous reasons. It looks like I
will be keeping the F350 for an extended period.
The tranny is working great but pulling at max load - I sometimes feel a
'shudder'  in the lower gears and a  few other suttlie 'things' that I read
about on the Ford list -- you know- like when you 'think' the horse is just
not right ...I may want to get a trans rebuild before it craps out.. will
cost less. There is a super trans shop that does these Fords, in Lead Hill,
AR called BTS. He guarantees the tranny will not break  for 2 yrs,  and
will truck one to where ever to have it replaced. This shop is the best one
recommended on the FORD list. So I may make a side trip to mid state AR and
spend a few days there getting this done.
Cost $1800 to $2000 depending on what extras I want.  The number one
failure item on the Ford PSD AUTO is the transmission.

I think this horse - at least   from what I have seen  in the video and in
discussions with the rider,, will be  a very great horse. He has a slow go
record. With no pulls other then RO.  4 LDs about 4 hr. and one 50 in about
7hr.
Carried a LW .
A post note - the AERC OL DB does really provide the information one may
want when looking at a 'for sale endurance' horse. It has its benefits.

He is about 15-1 or 2 and 1050 or so, looks just like Omni. 7-3/4 cannon
and big boned etc. No reported problems.

More later
Roger R