Sent: Saturday, August 23, 2003 11:20 AM
Subject: [RC] protests, responsibility and character

You know, as I think about it...this sport seems to reveal the "holes" in a
person's character.

I've felt that feeling of competitiveness...tempted to give my tiring pony a
nudge. The people that belong in this sport resists that temptation and put
the pony first.

What separates me from this woman who (IMO) murdered her horse to satisfy her
own ego? I'm a newbie in endurance with a whopping 6 LDs under my belt. I am
not an innocent though...I feel I overrode my pony at Warner Springs because
it took the full time for him to pulse down. He was fine though...but would I
have spent the night in a hotel because a vet said it was OK? No...it was my
RESPONSIBILITY to care for him.

I am continuing to educate myself. I don't expect AERC, a vet,  or a trainer
to do it for me. In fact, if I feel something is wrong with my horse I will
follow my gut first and other's advice second. IT IS MY JOB TO KNOW MY HORSE
BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE.

One of the things that attracts me to AERC is the freedom in the sport.
Anyone can compete...and that has given some backyard throwaway ponies and
middle-aged riders a new lease on life. How many other equestrian sports can we get by
in without a fancy pony and high dollar trainer?

The information to EDUCATE YOURSELF is out there. There is tons of it....and
guess what it is free. You can't force feed it to those that don't want to
hear it....they'd rather give in to that competitive temptation...the age old
lure that faster and first is better.

Melanie