Re: [RC] Protest & Education - Rae Callaway

Ok, obviously A, but one question about thumps - should you try to keep the horse moving or keep them still?

Rae
Tall C Arabians - SE Tx

SamahaArabians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Here's a silly thought...what if all newbies had to answer some basic common sense questions (kind of like driver's license questions) about horses, riding, safety, health and if they don't get a certain percentage right, we can refuse them entry into a ride?     Hmmmmm...
If your horse starts to thump, you should
A.  seek help from the vet immediately
B.  whack him between the ears and tell him to stop it
C.  get off and stomp your feet in time to his rhythm
OK, I'm being a smart aleck here but it sure could have some merits and we could leave it up to individual ride managers...it's not a rule, it's a TOOL.  And, of course, we all know more rules are the last thing anyone wants in AERC.  Ride managers already have the option of making stricter rules or requirements at their own rides and can limit entries for various reasons based on space, etc.  If nothing else, maybe it would help some riders see how ignorant they really are about the sport and how much they have to learn!  No flames please as I started this post mostly in fun but then it didn't seem so dumb after all.  Actually, maybe some oldbies should take it, too.

Miles of smiles,
Maggie