[RC] Complete advantage and Strategy - beth glover

Hi; I really like the Purina products compared to some of our locally made feeds. For instance the Purina Senior compared with the local "plain wrap" senior chow...it smells better. I would eat it. The other one, it stinks.  I've been using Complete Advantage for my horses. When the mare Solstice was in foal and Lactating I used Purina Omolene 300. Now I just give Solstice a little Complete advantage, only for "a treat" since she is not competing. I feed the competing horse and the growing 4 year old the Complete Advantage, along with  mineral/salt block, beet pulp, and grass hays. I give the competing mare, Summer,  ground flax seed and that is because she has itchy skin allergies.( That is what my vet's wife uses so he doesn't have to give their allergic pony  cortisone shots!)  Summer gets about a pound of Complete Advantage daily, and a half a cup of flax seed most days. I also give them all a half a scoop of Grand Vite, for the added probiotics. Between all that stuff, Summer has had a much improved skin condition, she has a gleaming chestnut coat that has a metallic sheen. The greys are dapply and have a shine to them also. They all are growing hoof at an alarming rate (My horseshoer is not alarmed, he just bought a new Ford F350 Diesel!)

Comparing the Complete Advantage to the Strategy...you could go to the Purina website. But basically, Complete Advantage is a little lower in protein, it is 12.5%, Strategy is 14%.   Strategy has a bit more fat than C.A. but C.A. has more fiber.  My gut feeling is that I'd rather have the slightly lower protein for their kidneys to metabolize, and can always splash on some corn oil for fat. Strategy also has a bit more phosphorus, and it is the same ratio as the Calcium. I'd have to ask Susan Garlinghouse if all that matters. Pricewise, I don't know what Strategy costs, I haven't tried to get any of my feed suppliers to come up with it. They  sometimes have a bit of a problem getting me Complete Advantage, I think they just plain don't know what it is half the time when I call. But the cost of it, is $14.00 per 50 lb sack. I like it, it helps me to keep weight on Summer better, she tends to get that boney back, and when I put it in the beet pulp, it makes that stuff more enticing.

Beth Glover

MSN 8: Get 6 months for $9.95/month. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=