Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2003 4:09 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Heat & humidity

Down here in the swamp the normal humidity at day break is 99% to 100%
(ever heard of fog - fog is 100% humidity). While I will ride sometimes
early if that is the only time I'd perfer to let the sun bake off some
of the humidity. Eighty degrees and 65% humidity (which is probably our
10 AM conditions) is much better than 65 degrees and 100% humidity which
is our normal summer at daybreak. On top of that there is normally a
breeze at 10 AM. Late afternoon is also a good time - if you don't have
to dodge lightning bolts:-).  I ride slower in the summer but
conditioning in the heat has its own benefits.

Stay out of the sun if at all possible to eliminate that source of heat
build up. I ride year round in FL without much problem and have done
rides that have been brutally hot. Long street a few years ago was hot.
The GEAR Benefit ride (this weekend every year in GA ) is normally hot.

But we just keep on keeping on and try to minimize the impact on the
horses by using tons of water to cool them and going a little slower.

Personally I never calculate the "heat plus humidity" index or look at
the heat index the US Weather service publishes. If I did, I'd be too
depressed to ride.