[RC] Walkergirls ? to non(almost)Whackers - Laurie Durgin

The groundwork/suppling is to make him realise 'you' are the Alpha horse, because you can make him move. The Alpha horse never moves out of the other horses ways, he makes them move. Same with round pen/ or lounging work. You are controlling their movements. I know a trainer (who does smack too), who makes her young stud back up every time he is bad (on the ground) . I make my 2 yr old back up a couple steps when I go in his stall to feed him. I also just occasionally make him back up with a finger poke, around the stable yard.
I have the same 'stand still" problem with Rascal on the trail. In the early stages I just dismounted if it could become a dangerous situation (4 wheelers baring down on us),I still would dismount if I couldn't 100% trust him. Not worth getting hurt over. A horse has to have complete confidence, trust and be obediant before you can trust them in that kind of situation.
When they are being bratty , they are challenging you to see who is top. If you take on that challenge, yu got to make them do something, anything to show them you are in control(safely of course). They also aren't trained "well enough " yet. Combination of their personality trait s and your 'time' .Some horses are just tough nuts to crack. They challenge alot and often. Others give in pretty easily. Some are afraid/sensitive, some are 'bullies'.
Helps to figure out what you got and how you plan to work through it. Most people don't have enough time/ or just don't want to put the work in---hence 'shortcuts' and gimmicks.
And like any herd situation , they may go along fine, then just decide they want to see if they can be the leader and challenge you. I always say Rascal has a napoleanonic complex. He is very affectionate, had a lot of imprint work, likes to follow you around, will rub on you as a greeting. Will accept training and likes to be with people. But occasionally he is #2 and tries to be # 1. I've gotten so that now if he tries to 'take over" I just go "eh,eh, eh" and usually he stops and says "oh, ah, sorry, just trying, wanted to see if you were paying attention. . . " ( We did lots of circles and sometimes lounging on the trail. . . )
I try to go the'training route, ----if I run out of options I can always "whack um".(I am not above a rare use of a crop/reins--- but it is rare.) Laurie?Rascal /HOney?Scout

From: "A. Perez" <walkergirl@xxxxxxxxxx> Reply-To: <walkergirl@xxxxxxxxxx> To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [RC] OK: suggestions sought on rearing/brattiness (long) Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 12:53:56 -0400

 Having weighed in on the side of the 'smackers' (though I
don't favor use of lumber or hitting on the head), I'm happy to
hear any suggestions from 'no violence' folks would deal with my
TWH gelding: this horse is extremely responsive, gives to the
bit well, has great self-carriage.  He is great in most
situations except (1) when ridden in the fields where he is
boarded, near but out of sight of the herd and (2) when
returning from a trail ride, heading home, when asked to stop
and stand (allowing a car to pass, say) before crossing the
road.  In both these situations he gets bratty and threatens to
rear (sometimes does).  The 'keeping the hind-end moving'
approach does not help much when I need to KEEP HIM STILL to
allow a car to pass (no room to circle on the side of the road).
I have been giving him a good whack with the crop on the side
of his neck and saying 'NO!'.  Usually only takes one or two
whacks to get him to stand.  However, another woman also rides
him (I recruited her to get him out more, since he has been
acting herd-bound I thought that would help), and she does not
like disciplining him.  When he started bucking and rearing with
her while riding on the farm (scenario # 1 above), her approach
was to retreat to the ring and do ring-work til he settled down.
Well, the ring is in sight of the herd, so in that case I think
he won (I was not present at the time).
 I am certain this behavior is not fear or pain induced: he is
staging a temper tantrum to get his own way by trying to
intimidate his rider (he is very alpha in the herd: acts like a
stud, bosses all the pther horses).  I don't see how
ground-work/suppling excercises would help in this situation,
though I'd be happy to hear suggestions along those lines.
  Since this other rider is hestitant to discipline him: what
do the pacifists on the list suggest she do?

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag

<b>Get MSN 8</b> and enjoy automatic e-mail virus protection. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus

Reply Reply All Forward Delete Put in Folder...InboxSent MessagesDraftsTrash CanaercAERC-MEMBERSrc Previous Next | Close

© 2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. TERMS OF USE Advertise TRUSTe Approved Privacy Statement GetNetWise

<b>Get MSN 8</b> and enjoy automatic e-mail virus protection. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus