[RC] [Guest] knots on the head - Ridecamp Moderator

Ray O'Donohue rno2m
No,I personally have never knocked one on the head that hard;I am the softie in my field trial group.Re that Kentuckian and his two knot-headed mares:seemingly brutal-yes.But consider- all that sort of thing was over quickly.(Another one of his techniques is to gently lay them down on the ground and sit on their head long enough to drink a soda.)It did not go on and on and on for years,through endless round pen and clinic quests, which probably are no picnic for horses either.Those two mares are USING horses,not a hobby in and of themselves.They had thousands of miles on them-pleasurable for them as well as the rider-by the time the average new-ager would be switching to their 3rd latest clinic guru and saddle fitting project.That guy needs horses he can ride and use in a reasonably short period of time;he has work to do with them.Could he learn something from the new-age people?Yes.But the new-agers could also learn from him.He has great horses,healthy,well kept,and quiet.And he acquires them inexpensively in terms of time/effort invested.His horse do not own him.Is he affectionate to them,as I am to my horse?Probably not.But I doubt if any horse really cares whether or not you like him,if he has another horse to buddy with.When I was nearly killed a few years ago when Chico fell and rolled over on me,it was not Chico who came back and licked my face until I came to.It was my little setter,Penny.Chico was in my front yard eating grass.Chico does own me,it must be admitted.