[RC] for Gabi (Ra'anana Farm) - Teresa Van Hove

Gabi,

I may be inviting flames here, but given the facts of your
situation; the fact that horses are pretty darn heavily muscled in
the stomach, and that they can and do kick each other much harder
than your 'rough instructor' can kick them; my only suggestion would
be to request of him that he not "pull them hard a few times in the
mouth"

If you try to get 'nice instuctors' again in the future you had
better make sure that they will correct the horses in some fashion
and not make excuses for them.  Correction could be just the tieing
the head to one side; or making the horse work (and I mean WORK)
hard in small circles or some other less rough seeming alternative
than your current instructor; but the horses might well prefer one
good kick in the stomach to enough extra difficult work to make
carrying students seem the preferable alternative.

I rather doubt that the grain is making the horses act up; horses
are not really wired to want to work all day --and the only
exception that I know of is when the 'work' is interesting for them
-  ie they are seeing interesting country &/or visiting with horsey
friends while going down the trail; or they are working cattle or
something similar that actually provides a bit of interest and is
not just 'work'.  Therefore horses who are asked to do 'boring' work
much of the day are going to see if they can find ways to reduce the
workload; acting up, acting wild and crazy, acting tired 'hey it
works a wee bit with worry wort owners like myself', etc.

My opinion -
Teresa