[RC] wack 'em - Gabi (Ra'anana Farm)

I have a riding school with 25 horses and ponies.

6 months ago most of them were so bad behaved, almost daily a student was thrown of.

I had 2 young female instructors working for me, that believed in absolute non-violent aproach, except for verbal.
Whenever a horse or pony would buck, bolt or run home they would find an excuse in favor of the animal, as "he worked already 3 hours today", "the saddle blanket was too thin", and this or that.

Then these 2 instructors were replaced by a rough male instructor. whenever a horse misbehaves he askes the student to dismount, kicks them hard in the stumic with his boots, pulls them a few times hard in the mouth,and sometimes ties the reins very tied to one side and let the horse stand like that with his neck bend for at least 30 minutes. Gives the student a new horse and continues.

I do not need to explain how much it upsets the students and their parents and me too, BUT it works, within 2 weeks time the all entire herd became obedient, calm and reliable. I am sorry about the few horses I sold because of their "throwing student of" behaviour, because this instructor could have fixed them.

But it is sad for me to see this happening, and i wish there was another way. As you can understand, the safety of the student comes first, and the sweet methods of the instructors before has already been tried and was really completly unsuccesfull.

I wish i could have the horses eating hey only, that would take that energetic edge off, they get too much grain, but with hey only they get skinny. I already put oil on the grain, for added calories.

I would like to hear opinions about the mentioned training method.

gabi