[RC] the eternal debate on breast collars - Andrea Day

Then again, a foot over the reins can be fun too.
This can all get as good as;
who has the best horse?
Who was the greatest horse?
And the all time favorite, is endurance a ride or a race.
I for one am very happy it can still be either depending on what the
rider wants to do.

HEAR, HEAR!!
You say toe-may-toe and I say toe-mah-toe

Yah, breast collars and cruppers--I use'em when I think I want to have 'em along, but don't usually when conditioning--just one more piece of equipment to clean. I think the hang up issue is why the cowboys stick to leather. In a bad bad pinch, you can always break a strap on leather, but give it up on nylon or biothane, you're hooked for good.

Was gathering cows one day with Dot Wiggens in Hells Canyon country. Cows holed up in the brush, and I "attemped" to get them out. About the time I figured out there was no way to ride the mess, a 2 yo bull pushed a small dead tree over behind me while charging back out. I could see daylight to the left, and figured I'd head that way, but the horse wouldn't lead. Realized he'd caught a stout branch in the stirrup and run it through about a foot. Tried to back him up, but he ran another branch, fortunately springy and leafy, between his back legs, and one up under the saddle. Fortunately, Xanadu was trained to stop on pressure and used to me doing stupid things, so he let me crawl around getting him free. Then my good solid boy patiently waited till I broke enough branches to get him out. About the time we were out, I realized that, in addition to the leaves and debris that had gone down my shirt, there were biting ANTS in there, and stripped down, dancing and cursing and slapping myself with my hat. That was IT!!!!!--he ran back to the end of the reins and stood, legs splayed, blowing rollers and bugging his eyes. It was one thing to brush him up or sack him out, that he could handle, but when I started sacking myself out, he absolutely flipped because he KNEW I'd gone crazy. The only place we didn't get sticks that trip was under the breast collar. Wonder if Dot noticed after that whenever the cows brushed up I always found something very important to do on the OTHER side of the herd?

I can agree to let bygones be bygones on the breast collar issue--some do, some don't--and I respect their opinions. The brassiere issue is another story . . . . . ;)

And then there's those d*&$%#@ tie-downs! That's one WORTHLESS piece of equipment. Just for a change, let's trash them a bit!!
Andrea